A zesty take on traditional chicken soup.
- 1-2 lbs. chicken (depending on how much you want to make); you can use thighs, breasts, legs or whole chicken
- 1 10oz. bag fresh or frozen spinach
- 1 large onion – yellow, white or red, finely chopped
- 1 large bulb of garlic, about 6-8 cloves, finely chopped
- 1 jar of roasted red peppers, or make your own fresh, chopped
- 1 cup orzo, couscous or brown rice
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 5-6 cups of water to cover chicken
- Boil chicken with garlic and onions in large pot.
- Remove chicken from pot and cool broth, skimming off any fat. Remove skin from chicken. Remove chicken meat from bones. Chop or pull chicken meat into bite size pieces and add back to broth.
- Add bag of spinach, lemon juice and rice, orzo or couscous, chopped red peppers and bring to a boil again. Then simmer until rice is cooked.
- This keeps well and can be frozen. You can add bouillon; just watch the salt content.