A vegan, low-fat creamy mushroom soup! Get rid of the canned soup and add this recipe that is full of earthy mushroom flavor to your favorites.
- 2 large white onions, diced
- 2 10 oz packages white button mushroom, sliced
- 2 10 oz packages baby portobello mushroom, sliced
- 20 stalks fresh thyme, leaves removed
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
- 2 tbsps tapioca flour
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 2 cups almond or cashew milk (unsweetened)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the diced onions and cover to sweat them, about 5-7 minutes.
- Move onions to the sides of the saucepan and add mushrooms to the center, allow to cook 5 minutes uncovered.
- Stir the onions and mushrooms together. Add fresh thyme and allow to continue to cook, at least 10 minutes. You will notice a substantial amount of water will come out of the mushrooms, and they will reduce in volume by half.
- Add the bay leaf, the salt and the liquid aminos (or soy sauce) to the mushrooms.
- In a small bowl stir the tapioca starch into the vegetable broth until combined and not lumpy. Add this mixture to the mushrooms and stir.
- Add almond milk to the pan.
- Allow to cook for at least 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and add freshly ground black pepper.
Optionally, you can add cashew cheese, Parmesan cheese or enjoy the soup just as it is!