From milk thistle to curcumin, dandelion, artichoke, berberine, and so many more – discover the best supplements to help your liver.
Different supplements are designed to help the body in different ways. The supplements that have the potential to provide the most benefit for you are the ones that can have the greatest impact on the issues you face.
Here are the best supplements based on whether you want to address:
- fatty liver
- reduce liver inflammation
- rebuild liver cells
- or improve bile flow.
1. Best Supplements for Fatty Liver
As its name suggests, fatty liver disease refers to when the level of fat in the liver rises too high. If this disease progresses enough, it can result in cirrhosis—even if you don’t drink alcohol.
According to a review of clinical evidence published in the journal Nutrients in September 2018, several supplements are beneficial for preventing and/or treating non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). (1)
- Silymarin, a group of antioxidants extracted from milk thistle that helps protect the liver
- Vitamin E, which helps reduce liver fibrosis, especially when combined with other drugs
- Vitamin D3, for better insulin resistance in people with NAFLD
- Omega-3 fatty acids, with long-term supplementation connected to reduced liver fat
- Astaxanthin, a carotenoid with antioxidant properties helpful in preventing liver injury
- Coenzyme Q10, another antioxidant that improves the severity of NAFLD
- Berberine, which comes from medicinal plants and improves markers of liver disease
- Curcumin, for improving the amount of fat in the liver
- Resveratrol, a phenol that comes from grape skin peel and offers an antihypertensive effect for people with NAFLD
- Salvia miltiorrhiza, a dry extract that reduces the degree of fatty liver disease
- Probiotics, which improve numerous NAFLD parameters, such as those related to insulin resistance and lipid infiltration
2. Supplements For Liver Inflammation
Several different factors or conditions can contribute to an inflamed liver. If you have acute or chronic hepatitis, for instance, this can cause liver inflammation. An inflamed liver can also be the result of cirrhosis.
Some of the supplements good for fatty liver are also among the best supplements for liver inflammation.
Among them are: (1)
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin D
- Omega-3 fatty acids
A study published in 2021 touts two other supplements for their powerful anti-inflammatory effects on the liver.
These supplements are: (2)
- Milk thistle
- Chicory extract
Both of these supplements work, in part, by their effect on the Farnesoid X receptors (FXRs). FXRs play a role in bile acid synthesis regulation and lipid metabolism.
3. Best Supplements for Rebuilding Liver Cells
Some of the most compelling studies on supplements for rebuilding liver cells have been conducted on patients who have had a liver resection or transplant and, as a result, wound up with dysfunctional or dead cells from reduced blood flow during the medical procedure.
According to a 2020 review, several supplements help support the liver’s capacity to regenerate its cells through their effect on both overall health and how they impact the gut microbiome. (3)
These supplements include:
- Korean red ginseng
- Fish oil
- Dexpanthenol, also known as pro-vitamin B5
- Lipid emulsion
- Branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs)
- Retinoic acid (vitamin A)
4. Supplements For Bile Flow
Bile has two functions. One is to carry waste away from the cells and the other is to aid in digestion. If bile flow is inhibited in any way, both of these processes can be negatively affected.
Research published in the Journal of Ayurvedic and Herbal Medicine reveals that there are quite a few supplements that help support healthy bile flow and digestion.
They are: (4)
- Artichoke (Cynara scolymus)
- Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale)
- Milk thistle (Silybum marianum)
- Ginger (Zingiber officinale)
- Psyllium (Plantago ovata)
- Peppermint (Mentha piperita)
Looking for Supplements That Promote Various Aspects of Liver Health?
Numerous supplements are designed to help support healthy liver function, including ingredients such as those listed above which have been scientifically found to have positive effects on this incredibly important organ. For instance, Clinical LiverSupport contains vitamin E, artichoke leaf extract, chicory, milk thistle, curcumin, and more.
Natural Wellness also offers many other liver support products that are made in the U.S.A. and manufactured under strict guidelines to ensure quality and safety.
(1) Cicero, A., Colletti, A., Bellentani, S. (2018, September). Nutraceutical Approach to Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD): The Available Clinical Evidence. Nutrients. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10091153
(2) Khalili, A., Fallah, P., Hashemi, S., et al. (2021, July-August). New Mechanistic Insights Into Hepatoprotective Activity of Milk Thistle and Chicory Quantified Extract: The Role of Hepatic Farnesoid-X Activated Receptors. Avicenna Journal of Phytomedicine. doi: https://doi.org/10.22038/AJP.2020.17281
(3) Cornide-Petronio, M., Álvarez-Mercado, A., Jiménez-Castro, M., Peralta, C. (2020, January 21). Current Knowledge About the Effect of Nutritional Status, Supplemented Nutrition Diet, and Gut Microbiota on Hepatic Ischemia-Reperfusion and Regeneration in Liver Surgery. Nutrients. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/nu12020284
(4) Cheema, H., Sing, M. (2021, January 08). The Use of Medicinal Plants in Digestive System Related Disorders: A Systematic Review. Journal of Ayurvedic and Herbal Medicine. doi: https://doi.org/10.31254/jahm.2021.7303