Instead of limp boiled asparagus (yuck), or bland steamed asparagus, roasting asparagus gets the tips crispy and the flavor becomes more concentrated and complex. Try this wonderful side dish tonight.
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Break off the tough ends of the asparagus and, if they’re thick, peel the bottom half of each stalk.
- Place the asparagus on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, then toss to coat the asparagus completely.
- Spread the asparagus in a single layer and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast the asparagus for 25 minutes, until tender but still crisp.
- Remove the asparagus from the oven, sprinkle with thyme and toss.
- Drizzle on lemon juice, sprinkle with zest (optional) and serve.