Try this popular side dish for your next holiday meal.
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- ½ cup cooked wild rice
- ½ loaf whole wheat bread cubed
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 2 peeled, cored and diced apples
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup low-sodium broth (vegetable or chicken)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- In 2 tbsp oil, sautÃ© onions until soft then add garlic and cook for several more minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread bread cubes over a baking sheet and combine with remaining oil, sage and thyme – bake for 10 minutes or until bread is lightly toasted and fragrant.
- In a large bowl, toss slightly cooled bread cubes with sautÃ©ed onions and garlic. Stir in rice, apples, dried cranberries and toasted walnuts until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Transfer to a baking dish greased with cooking spray, add broth, cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes for a crispy top.