While you can get frozen rhubarb at anytime, spring is the time to harvest fresh rhubarb from your garden. Try these Rhubarb Walnut Muffins instead of the old strawberry/rhubarb standby.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (preferably gluten-free, see recipe)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh rhubarb (you can substitute frozen rhubarb that has been thawed and well drained)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven 325 degrees F. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine the vegetable oil, egg, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients mixing only until just combined to avoid tough/heavy muffins.
- Fold in rhubarb and walnuts.
- Spoon batter into paper lined muffin tins until full but just slightly below the top of the paper liner.
- Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over muffins.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until cake tester comes out clean when inserted into the center and tops are nicely browned.