While you can get frozen rhubarb at anytime, spring is the time to harvest fresh rhubarb from your garden. Try these Rhubarb Walnut Muffins instead of the old strawberry/rhubarb standby.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (preferably gluten-free, see recipe)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh rhubarb (you can substitute frozen rhubarb that has been thawed and well drained)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven 325 degrees F. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine the vegetable oil, egg, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients mixing only until just combined to avoid tough/heavy muffins.
- Fold in rhubarb and walnuts.
- Spoon batter into paper lined muffin tins until full but just slightly below the top of the paper liner.
- Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over muffins.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until cake tester comes out clean when inserted into the center and tops are nicely browned.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.