Store bought granola is often laden with sugar and can make you feel tired and just plain unhealthy after eating it. This delicious recipe is just sweet enough and can be customized with seeds, nuts and fruit to your liking!
- 4 cups organic rolled oats (not quick cooking oats)
- 1/2 cup chopped or slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup good honey
- 1/3 cup apple juice or apple cider
- 1 cup dried cranberries, or favorite dried chopped fruit
- Preheat oven to 300º. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the oats, nuts, flax seeds, coconut, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the applesauce, honey, and apple juice in measuring cup.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the oat mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until all the oats and nuts are coated.
- Spread the granola onto a large sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake, stirring every 10 minutes with a spatula, until the mixture turns a nice, even golden brown, around 30-40 minutes.
- Remove granola from the oven and allow to cool completely, stirring occasionally. Add cranberries and stir.
Granola can be stored in an airtight container or plastic bag in the refrigerator for several weeks. Eat it plain, with yogurt or with some almond milk.