Crispy, fluffy, vegan waffles, naturally sweetened and customizable!
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond or coconut milk (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp alcohol-free pure vanilla extract
Five optional add-ins to try (not all at the same time though):
- 1 tsp cinnamon (add this in with your dry ingredients)
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (add this in with your dry ingredients)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (add this in with your dry ingredients)
- 1 tsp lemon zest – topped with blueberries is delicious! – (add this in with your wet ingredients)
- 1/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (add this in when you combine the wet and dry ingredients)
In a medium bowl combine your milk and vinegar and let set for 5 minutes. This will create a buttermilk.
- In a separate, large bowl combine your dry ingredients with a whisk: flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- To your buttermilk, add the syrup or sugar, coconut oil and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and mix until it is JUST combined. Do not overmix, there will be lumps in the batter.
- Let the batter rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees F and your waffle iron to medium-high heat.
- Lightly oil the top and bottom of the waffle iron or spray with a nonstick spray.
- Pour 1/2 cup of batter into your waffle iron. Close gently and cook until no steam is escaping from the waffle iron and the waffle is golden brown and crisp – about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the waffles and place it on a baking sheet in your preheated oven to keep them warm until all waffles are done.
- Serve immediately with your favorite syrup, spread or fruit!
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.