Hungarian Cucumber Salad
|Total time:||2 hrs 5 minutes|
|Prep time:||5 minutes|
If you have your own garden, or a friend has a garden, you may be overwhelmed by cucumbers! Try this great alternative to just adding them to a salad. A tangy, cold accompaniment to any protein of your choice.
- 2 English cucumbers
- 2 tablespoons Seasoned Salt
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- Pinch of dill, dried or fresh (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sour cream (optional)
- Peel and slice cucumbers very thinly, using a mandolin is preferred as you can achieve super thin slices.
- Place cucumbers on a large baking sheet and sprinkle throughout with salt, making sure that all the slices are salted. Leave to rest for 30 minutes. The salt will draw the moisture out of the cucumbers.
- Cut the onion into paper-thin slices and place in a bowl.
- Once the cucumbers have released water, use your hands to squeeze out the excess water. (While there is plenty of water released from the cucumbers to rinse the salt off, if you prefer, you can rinse the cucumber slices thoroughly in a colander and immediately squeeze out the excess water.)
- Add the cucumbers to the onions. The cucumbers are supposed to be limp, but they will still be crisp.
- Add the vinegar, water, sugar, and paprika to the cucumber/onion mixture.
- Let the cucumbers and onions marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from fridge, add dill (optional), and serve.
If you want to add the optional sour cream, pour off some of the liquid after the cucumbers and onions have marinated and then mix in the sour cream.
Not how I remember
My mother was taught how to cook by my grandmother who was Hungarian. No dill or paprika.
It was sugar to taste. It lasted in the fridge for a long time. But only if mom made a lot. She peeled the cucumber if it was regular ones and left them for quite a while for the salt to work. She rinsed off the extra salt after it did its work. I made it quite often we liked the sour taste. When I stopped making it I would get it at a deli.