After a holiday, the beginning of the New Year, or the start of a new season, there are times we want to recalibrate and move toward cleaner eating. This simple detox-friendly recipe is a great addition to a clean eating regimen. Make a big batch because it freezes really well.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 yellow or Spanish onion, roughly diced
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets, about 2/3 pound
- 2 1/2 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup arugula leaves, packed
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium.
- Add onion and cook until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add broccoli and cook for 4 minutes until it is bright green.
- Add water (or vegetable stock), salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Bring to boil, then cover and lower heat. Cook until broccoli is tender, around 8 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the soup into blender (or better yet, use an immersion blender right in the pan) and add arugula, blending until smooth. NOTE: Be careful if you are using a blender, start slowly, place the lid on top of the blender but don’t press the lid down and work in batches if necessary.
- Add the lemon juice and serve.