Homemade Water Kefir Soda
Adapted from FarmhouseonBoone.com
Making your own healthy probiotic drink at home shouldn’t be intimidating. With a few ingredients and a simple process you’re on your way to a delicious homemade kefir drink.
Careful when opening your Homemade Water Kefir Soda!
- Water kefir grains
- Room temperature filtered water
- Organic brown sugar
- Organic grape juice
- Bring one cup of filtered water to a boil
- Add 1/2 cup of organic brown sugar stirring until dissolved, then allow to cool completely.
- In a half gallon jar (64 oz) add 1/2 cup water kefir grains and fill jar half-full with filtered water.
- Once the brown sugar water is completely cooled add it to the large jar with the water kefir grains and water.
- Continue to fill the jar with filtered water leaving about a 1 inch headspace (1 inch of space between the rim of the jar and the top of the liquid).
- Place the jar lid loosely on top and allow it to ferment on your counter for 24-48 hours (depending on temperature as it will ferment faster in warmer temperatures).
- After 24 hours sample a taste, if it tastes sweet it needs to ferment longer. Wait another 24 hours.
- After fermentation is complete, pour 1/4 cup of organic grape juice into four 16 ounce lidded bottles or jars.
- Fill the bottles the rest of the way by straining the fermented mixture through a very fine mesh strainer or tea towel.
- Close the lid on the bottles or jars and let sit for another 24 hours (optional). When you open the lid of the bottle or jar, if there isn’t a pop or fizzing sound then it probably hasn’t fermented enough. If that is the case simply close the lid and let it sit for another day to make it extra bubbly.
- Pour into a glass and drink.
You can store the kefir grains retained when you strain the liquid in a little sugar water in the fridge for use later!
For additional instructions, tips and images, visit FarmhouseonBoone.com.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.