Briam – Greek Mixed Vegetables
|Total time:||1 hour 30 minutes|
|Prep time:||10 minutes|
|Cook time:||1 hour 20 minutes|
A simple recipe with loads of summertime vegetables. Add whatever vegetables you like!
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra if required
- 1 large eggplant, sliced lengthwise once, then cut into thick slices (half round shape)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 1/2 lbs. potatoes (about 4 medium) cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 6 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 5 small zucchini, sliced into rounds
- 1 1/4 cups tomato passata (can substitute with tomato puree)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat and cook the eggplant in batches, adding more oil if necessary, for 5–7 minutes, until softened and golden. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan, with a little more oil if necessary, and sautÃ© for 5 minutes, until softened. Transfer to the bowl with the eggplant.
- Add the potato, tomatoes, zucchini, passata and 1 cup water to the bowl. Sprinkle with oregano and parsley and season generously with salt and ground black pepper. Combine well with your hands and transfer to a large ovenproof dish. Drizzle with any remaining oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Turn oven down to 400 degrees. Bake for another 20–30 minutes, or until the top has browned and vegetables are tender. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.