A simple recipe with loads of summertime vegetables. Add whatever vegetables you like!
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra if required
- 1 large eggplant, sliced lengthwise once, then cut into thick slices (half round shape)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 1/2 lbs. potatoes (about 4 medium) cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 6 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 5 small zucchini, sliced into rounds
- 1 1/4 cups tomato passata (can substitute with tomato puree)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat and cook the eggplant in batches, adding more oil if necessary, for 5–7 minutes, until softened and golden. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan, with a little more oil if necessary, and sautÃ© for 5 minutes, until softened. Transfer to the bowl with the eggplant.
- Add the potato, tomatoes, zucchini, passata and 1 cup water to the bowl. Sprinkle with oregano and parsley and season generously with salt and ground black pepper. Combine well with your hands and transfer to a large ovenproof dish. Drizzle with any remaining oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Turn oven down to 400 degrees. Bake for another 20–30 minutes, or until the top has browned and vegetables are tender. Allow to cool slightly before serving.