Almond and Honey-Butter Cookies
|Total time:||2 hours 45 mins|
|Prep time:||2 hours 30 mins|
|Cook time:||15 mins|
Adapted from Eating Well
This thumbprint cookie uses honey as the only sweetener and tender ground almonds to replace much of the butter found in similar cookies. Just a touch of butter mixed with honey in the filling gives it a rich flavor without too much saturated fat.
National Honey Month is a celebratory and promotional event held annually during the month of September. Its purpose is to promote US beekeeping, the beekeeping industry and honey as a natural and beneficial sweetener.
Tips and Notes
- To toast whole almonds, spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes. To toast sliced almonds, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Whole-wheat pastry flour can be found in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores.
- 1 cup whole almonds, toasted
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour (Look for whole-wheat pastry flour in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores.)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup plus 1/4 cup honey, divided
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds
- Process whole almonds in a food processor or blender until finely ground. Transfer to a large bowl and add whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt; stir until just combined.
- Beat ⅔ cup honey, oil and 3 tablespoons butter in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Add egg and vanilla and beat until blended.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; stir to combine. Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats.
- Roll tablespoons of dough into 1-inch balls and place on the prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Press the tip of your index finger in the center of each cookie to make an indentation. Bake approximately 13 to 15 minutes, until set and barely golden on the bottom.
- Transfer to a wire rack; let cool for 30 minutes.
- Mix the remaining ¼ cup honey and 1 tablespoon butter in a small bowl until creamy. Fill each cookie with honey/butter mixture and top with 2 sliced almonds, if desired.
- Makes about 3½ dozen cookies.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.