Discover some of the best fruits, veggies, warm beverages, grains and more that will keep your liver in tiptop shape!
This article will help you discover foods that will help repair your liver. It will also point out foods that you should consider staying away from.
Your morning beverage will likely help your liver (as long as you don’t load it up with sugar of course).
- Coffee – Loaded with antioxidants, coffee can help reduce the risk of cirrhosis or liver damage as well as cancer. It also works as an anti-inflammatory and can decrease fat buildup. (1)
- Tea – Similar to coffee, tea is loaded with antioxidants which can help reduce fat buildup and inflammation. It can also help improve enzyme levels in the liver and reduce the risk of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD). (1)
Fruit and Vegetables
These 6 fruits and veggies are great for your diet!
- Grapefruit – Grapefruit is loaded with the antioxidants naringenin and naringin which can help defend the liver from injuries by reducing inflammation and protecting cells. Studies show it reduces the risk of fibrosis as well. (1)
- Berries – Various berries (especially blueberries and cranberries) are loaded with antioxidants. They have the potential to improve immunity as well as slow down the development of lesions and fibrosis. (1)
- Grapes – All grapes, but especially red and purple, have proven to be beneficial due to a variety of plant compounds found in them. They work as an anti-inflammatory and can reduce damage as well as improve defenses. (1)
- Prickly Pear – Prickly pear juices’ anti-oxidative properties help reduce inflammation. It can also help reduce damage brought on by alcohol. (1)
- Beetroot Juice – An excellent source of nitrates and antioxidants known as betalains, beetroot juice helps reduce inflammation and liver damage. It also has the potential to help detox liver enzymes. (1)
- Cruciferous Vegetables – Vegetables like broccoli, spinach, and Brussels sprouts are high in fiber and beneficial plant compounds that are excellent for liver health. They can help improve enzyme detoxification as well as protect the liver from damage. (1)
Nuts and Grains
Various nuts and grains are excellent for your liver.
- Nuts – Nuts are high in fat and nutrients like Vitamin E along with other plant compounds that are beneficial for a healthy liver. They have shown to be beneficial to helping patients with NAFLD. (1)
- Oatmeal – Oatmeal is rich in fiber which can help you shed some weight as well as improve liver function. (2)
4 More Foods that Help Repair Your Liver
- Fatty Fish – Fish that’s loaded with omega-3 fatty acids are great for fighting inflammation and can keep enzyme levels in check. An extra benefit is that it is good for your heart as well! (1)
- Herbs and Spices – Using herbs like oregano, sage, or rosemary in your cooking is great for your health due to the polyphenols found in them. Plus by adding flavor from herbs and spices, you are able to reduce the amount of salt used in your cooking. (2)
- Olive Oil – Olive oil has shown to be beneficial in reducing fat levels in your liver. It can also help improve blood flow and enzyme levels for those suffering from NAFLD. (1)
- Water – You should always stay hydrated; drinking plenty of water helps your body process foods. Drinking water instead of drinks loaded with sugar helps reduce your daily calorie intake, leading to less fat buildup. (2)
I’ve been hearing a lot about apple cider vinegar. What place does apple cider vinegar have in cleaning your liver?
Apple cider vinegar is really great for your health, not just for your liver but for throughout your body, including improving skin and hair quality as well as help lose weight.
With regards to your liver, due to being rich in vitamins, enzymes, and minerals, apple cider vinegar is able to stimulate circulation during liver detox. Unique acids that are found in apple cider vinegar are extremely helpful when detoxing as they are able to bind to toxins that are found in the body and help eliminate them. (3)
A great way to add apple cider vinegar to your diet is by adding 1 to 3 teaspoons of it to a glass of water before each meal. This should help detox your body, helping clean your liver, as well as help you lose weight! (3)
What Food Can Damage Your Liver?
- Alcohol – Drinking too much alcohol can do severe damage to your liver. (2)
- Fatty Foods – Foods that are loaded with saturated fats can lead to inflammation and scarring, leading to a liver not working to the best of its ability. (2)
- Pre-Packaged Snacks – Avoid things that you’ll likely find in a vending machine. They are loaded with fats, sugars, and salt, all of which lead to fat buildup and a potentially fatty liver. Instead of going for one of these snacks, consider some fresh fruit or another healthy option. (2)
- Salt – No one is saying to stop using salt all together; nobody likes bland food. But watch how much you put on your food, because sometimes your food has enough flavor before salt is added. Research shows that too much salt can lead to liver scarring and fibrosis. (2)
- Sugar – Too much sugar in your diet can lead to fat buildup and a fatty liver. When your liver has too much fat, it’s hard for it to operate properly. (2)
The foods listed above are a good guide on what you should and should not eat if your goal is repair your liver and keep it healthy. For example, berries, nuts and fatty fish are some of your healthier options, while it’s best to avoid items like added sugars and pre-packaged snacks.
1. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/11-foods-for-your-liver, 11 Foods That Are Good For Your Liver, By Taylor Jones R.D.
2. https://www.webmd.com/hepatitis/ss/slideshow-best-and-worst-foods-for-your-liver, 14 Best and Worst Foods for You, By Web MD
3. https://www.fibronostics.com/our-blogs/you-ll-be-surprised-what-apple-cider-vinegar-does-for-your-liver, You’ll Be Surprised What Apple Cider Vinegar Does For Your Liver, By Fibronostics