UltraThistleÂ® and Clinical LiverSupport are two of the best liver health supplements that money can buy. Which one is best for you?
Maintaining your liver’s health should be prioritized. Those who are aware they have liver issues have learned first-hand that, not only do you need your liver to live, but a compromised liver negatively affects many other functions of the body. Adhering to an active lifestyle and whole foods diet are cornerstones of securing your liver’s viability, but many situations warrant extra care. As two of the most potent liver supplements available for people with liver concerns, taking UltraThistle® or Clinical LiverSupport can make the difference between liver health and liver decline.
The undisputed single herbal champion for aiding liver cells is milk thistle. Of all natural substances that benefit the liver, milk thistle has been studied the most and has repeatedly demonstrated its value. Nonetheless, there are many herbs, vitamins, amino acids and other natural supplements that also have been studied and proven to have beneficial qualities for liver wellness.
UltraThistle® is the Ultimate Milk Thistle
Considered to be the gold standard of natural liver treatments, milk thistle has helped people with liver ailments for several thousand years. However, there is great variability in the potency, absorbability and effectiveness of different milk thistle preparations.
Milk thistle’s extract, silymarin, contains three primary flavonoids: silybin, silydianin and silychristin. Researchers agree that of the three, silybin (also referred to as silibin or silibinin), which makes up 50 percent of silymarin, is responsible for the majority of milk thistle’s liver-protective qualities.
Despite all of its liver health benefits, silymarin is notoriously difficult for the body’s cells to absorb. Scientists have created a way to improve its absorption by combining milk thistle extract with a phospholipid. Known as phytosome® silymarin phytosomes in Clinical Liver Support, and silybin phytosomes in UltraThistle®, they are absorbed up to ten times more readily than standardized milk thistle extracts.
Clinical trials have found that higher dosages of milk thistle provide greater liver support without side effects. Thus, experts suggest high dosages of silybin phytosome for the greatest milk thistle benefit. Since UltraThistle® provides a high dosage (360 mg) of the most potent, absorbable form of milk thistle (silybin phytosome), it is considered to be the best milk thistle supplement available today.
Clinical LiverSupport (CLS) is one of the most potent, comprehensive combination formulas for maintaining your liver’s well being. This multi-ingredient liver health supplement, in addition to its milk thistle beneficial qualities, is particularly valuable for helping those with liver-related metabolic concerns, such as a fatty liver, gallbladder or bile congestion and blood sugar imbalances. It truly helps to optimize your entire liver function and improve other bodily functions, such as digestion, blood sugar levels, immune support and more.
Clinical Liver Support contains a potent version of milk thistle, 240 mg of silymarin phytosome. Because the silymarin is in a phytosome form, the body absorbs it at 10 times that of standard milk thistle. In addition, Clinical Liver Support also contains 11 other natural substances, each picked for its specific value to liver health:
- Mixed Phospholipids – These lipids are an integral component of cell membranes, which adds the dimension of aiding lipid metabolism in liver cells.
- Curcumin C3 Complex® – Curcumin is the active ingredient in turmeric, a yellow spice that is a great liver antioxidant, detoxification aid and anti-inflammatory. In addition, curcumin increases bile production and helps purge the gallbladder.
- Vitamin E and N-Acetyl L-Cysteine (NAC) – Both of these substances are potent antioxidants. A precursor to glutathione, the body’s master antioxidant, NAC helps neutralize free radicals before they can damage liver cells. Individuals with a compromised liver may have trouble naturally producing adequate amounts of glutathione and Vitamin E.
- Blueberry Leaf and Benfotiamine – Blueberry leaf and benfotiamine (a fat-soluble form of Vitamin B1) promote healthy blood glucose levels. The liver converts glycogen into glucose, which is then released into the bloodstream. As such, those with impaired liver function could benefit from assistance with blood glucose balance.
- Artichoke, Dandelion and Chicory – All three are known to be liver health promoting herbs. Artichoke, chicory and dandelion help promote healthy bile flow, which prevents toxins from backing up in the liver.
- Green Tea and Beet Leaf – Particularly useful for preventing a fatty liver, green tea and beet leaf both help to prevent fatty deposits from forming in the liver.
Because UltraThistle® and Clinical LiverSupport are both top-of-the-line liver health supplements, you can’t go wrong choosing either. However, if you prefer a single ingredient supplement, UltraThistle® is your choice. If you prefer a multi-ingredient supplement that provides comprehensive liver support and protection that combines milk thistle with 11 additional ingredients, then choose Clinical Liver Support.
UltraThistle® and Clinical LiverSupport can help maintain liver health – even for those who have already sustained liver damage. Especially if burdened with a serious liver concern, these high quality supplements can prevent liver decline by providing the liver with the ingredient – or ingredients – that will support, protect and promote healthy liver cells.
http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/milk-thistle, Milk Thistle, Retrieved December 7, 2014, University of Maryland Medical Center, 2014.
http://www.liversupport.com/wordpress/2008/01/maximum-milk-thistle-vs-ultrathistle/, UltraThistle vs. Maximum Milk Thistle, Nicole Cutler, L.Ac., Retrieved December 7, 2014, Natural Wellness, 2014.
http://www.liversupport.com/products/liver-support-detox/, Clinical LiverSupport, Retrieved December 7, 2014, Natural Wellness, 2014.