Roasted Onions with Herbs
|Total time:||1 hour 30 minutes|
|Prep time:||45 minutes|
|Cook time:||45 minutes|
|Serving size:||Approx. 1 cup|
Author: Adapted from Ina Garten
Cooked slowly at high temperatures, onions begin to caramelize and become quite sweet. Usually looked at as an underlying component to flavor a dish, these onions are the star. Definitely worth a try!
These onions can be served hot or prepared ahead of time and served at room temperature. Leftovers can be added to a sandwich or homemade pizza – if there are any leftovers.
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 minced garlic clove
- ½ tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves (or ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves)
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large or 2 medium red onion(s) cut into wedges
- 1 Spanish onion cut into wedges (Here’s an instructional video.)
- ½ tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large, zip-top, plastic bag combine the lemon juice, mustard, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper and olive oil.
- To prepare the onions, remove the stem end (pointed end) of each onion and carefully slice off the brown part of the root end so that you leave the root intact.
- Remove the onion’s peel and cut each onion in half from root to stem.
- Continue to cut each onion half into wedges through the root so that the wedge remains whole. (View a tutorial on cutting onions into wedges.)
- Add the onions to the bag with the marinade and place into the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove the onions from the bag with a slotted spoon and place them on a baking sheet. Reserve the marinade.
- Bake the onions for 15 minutes then toss the onions so that the other sides can cook evenly.
- Put the onions back into the oven for another 15 to 30 minutes or until tender and browned.
- Remove from the oven, drizzle with the reserved marinade and sprinkle with parsley. Serve warm or at room temperature.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.