Wonderful with fish or chicken, this foolproof recipe utilizes fresh turmeric. If you can’t locate fresh turmeric, dried, ground turmeric can be substituted.
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced onions
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh turmeric (or 1/4 teaspoon dried, ground turmeric)
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock or water
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a medium saucepan to medium heat.
- Once heated, add the coconut oil.
- Once the oil is heated, add the onions and saute until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add the rice, raisins, turmeric and garlic. Toss to coat.
- Saute gently until you smell a nutty aroma, about 2 minutes, and then add the stock.
- Bring saucepan to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to low.
- Cook 45 minutes or longer until rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and leave lid on the pan to steam the rice for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid, season with salt and pepper, and fluff with a fork before serving.