When many people think of chickpeas they think of hummus, but what about a crunchy alternative? Chickpeas are a wonderful snack option because they are high in fiber which can improve digestion, but also increase satiety thus reducing appetite.
- 2 15-ounce cans of chickpeas (a.k.a. garbanzo beans) drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Spread out the garbanzos on a baking sheet and let them dry, uncovered, in the refrigerator overnight OR if you aren’t able to do that, place the chickpeas on paper towels and dry them thoroughly.
- Place the chickpeas on a baking sheet and toss them with the olive oil until they are coated.
- Sprinkle the chickpeas with salt, toss again, then spread the chickpeas out in an even layer.
- Bake until crispy – about 50 minutes to 1 hour – shaking the pan about every ten minutes or so to allow the chickpeas to crisp evenly.
- Let cool to room temperature before serving.
To punch up the flavor try adding 1/2 teaspoon of dried spices such as cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper or ginger to the olive oil before tossing the chickpeas.