If you haven’t tried tofu as an alternative protein source, the marinade in this recipe gives depth of fresh flavor to what would otherwise be bland tofu. Utilize those summer herbs and veggies to create a full meal.
- 1 (14 ounce) package firm tofu
- Your choice of vegetables for grilling (we recommend thickly sliced zucchini, summer/yellow squash, red onion, colorful bell peppers and whole grape or cherry tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (reserve approximately 1 teaspoon)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Begin by removing as much water from the tofu as possible. To do this, place the tofu on a plate (even better is a cutting board with a reservoir around the perimeter). Place another plate on top of the tofu to create a ‘press’. Place a gallon of water, some books, etc. on top of the upper plate to apply pressure to the tofu. Let the tofu sit approximately 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, drain off any liquid that has accumulated and dab off the tofu with a kitchen towel.
- Slice the tofu lengthwise, then cut into cubes.
- Place the cubes into a shallow dish.
- Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, cilantro (minus one teaspoon), garlic, chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper in a bowl.
- Pour the marinade over the tofu and let it marinate for 2-8 hours.
- Once finished marinating, thread the tofu and veggies onto skewers.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat, and lightly oil the grate. Grill the skewers until almost blackened in spots, brushing occasionally with the marinade, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from grill and sprinkle with fresh cilantro while still hot.