We’ve all had or heard about the traditional Campbell’s Soup green bean casserole with fried onion topping. Well, here is a healthier variation to try this Thanksgiving!
- 2 tbsps butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced and diced
- 3 tbsps white whole wheat flour
- 1½ cups skim milk
- ⅔ cups plain Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- black pepper, to taste
- 24 ounces frozen green beans
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- ¼ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan and saute garlic, onion and mushrooms until soft – about 5 minutes.
- Add flour and stir well. Cook about 2 minutes to cook out the raw flour taste.
- Slowly add milk, stirring constantly to avoid clumping.
- Add yogurt, salt, onion, garlic and black pepper and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer 5-10 minutes until thickened.
- Add green beans to sauce and stir to combine.
- Pour green bean mixture into a casserole dish. Top with parmesan if desired and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes.