How do you know if your liver needs detoxification?
The human liver is a multi-tasking, dynamic, brilliant organ – performing a long list of functions to sustain life. In an ideal world, the liver operates flawlessly and is able to keep the bloodstream free of toxins with minimal effort. However, the air we breathe, the food we eat, the communities we live in, the paths we travel, the products we apply to our skin and most of what we come in daily contact with are full of pollutants that can easily burden an industrious liver. Although an occasional vague symptom is no cause for worry, increasing frequency and intensification of these nine signs might actually be your liver crying out for detoxification help.
The signs of a liver congested with toxins are common complaints; so common that few people pay these symptoms much attention. This is understandable, except when four or more of these signs occur regularly and seem to be getting worse. The following nine types of discomfort (when they are daily happenings and grouped together) could mean that your liver needs help:
- Headaches – There are dozens of reasons for a headache, ranging from a stiff neck, to eyestrain, to stress, to a virus, to low blood sugar, to dehydration, to a hangover, to a congested, toxic liver. Find out about “An Alternate Approach to Liver-Related Headaches.”
- Constipation – Chronic, difficult elimination that is not aided by increasing hydration and fiber intake could be a result of toxins slowing the liver’s digestive functions.
- Fatigue – A symptom associated with a majority of health issues, fatigue that is unrelieved by sleep could be related to liver toxicity. Usually, the liver stores glycogen for when the body needs a burst of energy. A sluggish, congested liver is unable to properly store, release or process glycogen.
- Liver-Area Pain – Pain or discomfort around the liver (upper, right abdominal area under the ribcage) is often a sign of liver inflammation. Although there are several triggers of liver pain such as a virus or excessive fat, toxins will always aggravate liver inflammation.
- Insomnia – Because toxicity can interfere with the sleep cycle, insomnia might be a symptom of toxins in the liver. Difficulty sleeping between 1 and 4 in the morning tends to be more common when liver detoxification is needed. Learn how “Chinese Medicine Links Liver Disease with Insomnia.”
http://bembu.com/body-detox, 10 Signs Your Body is Screaming at You For a Detox, Retrieved January 10, 2016, Bembu.com, 2016.
http://nourishholisticnutrition.com/ten-signals-your-liver-needs-to-detox/, Ten Signals Your Liver Needs to Detox, Anne Baker, Retrieved January 10, 2016, Nourish Holistic Nutrition, 2016.
http://www.naturallivingideas.com/15-signs-your-liver-needs-a-detox-how-to-do-it/, 15 Signs Your Liver Needs a Detox + How to Do it, Jayne Leonard, Retrieved January 10, 2016, NaturalLivingIdeas.com, 2016.
http://www.saragottfriedmd.com/12-signs-you-need-to-detox/, 12 Signs You Need to Detox, Sara Gottfried, MD, Retrieved January 10, 2016, Gottfried Institute, 2016.