What are the Signs and Symptoms of Autoimmune Hepatitis?
Signs and symptoms of autoimmune hepatitis can range from minor to severe and may come on suddenly or develop over time. The most common symptom of autoimmune hepatitis is fatigue. Initially, symptoms can mimic a mild case of the flu. For some people, few, if any problems exist in the early stages of the disease, whereas others experience various signs and symptoms.
Symptoms of autoimmune hepatitis include:
- Loss of appetite
- An enlarged liver
- Jaundice (yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes)
- Abdominal discomfort
- Dark urine
- Pale stools
- Skin rashes
- Spider angiomas (abnormal blood vessels on the skin)
- Joint pain
- Loss of menstrual period in women
More serious complications can include ascites (fluid in the abdomen), and mental confusion.
7 Critical Foods That Are Crucial For Your Liver Health and Important To Detox Your Liver
If you’ve ever wanted to know the 7 most critical foods to eat to pump up your liver’s detox engine, to trim fat from your liver, to reduce your liver inflammation, to SUPER CHARGE your liver and gallbladder health... and will leave your taste buds BEGGING for more... please keep reading.
Mayo Clinic “Autoimmune Hepatitis” http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/autoimmune-hepatitis/DS00676/ Retrieved on February 17, 2011
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases “Autoimmune Hepatitis” http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/autoimmunehep/ Retrieved on February 17, 2011
Palmer, M.D., Melissa. Dr. Melissa Palmer’s Guide to Hepatitis & Liver Disease. New York: Avery Trade, 2004.
Worman, MD Howard J. The Liver Disorders and Hepatitis Sourcebook. McGraw-Hill, 2006
- Autoimmune Hepatitis
- Who Is At Risk for Autoimmune Hepatitis?
- What Causes Autoimmune Hepatitis?
- What are the Signs and Symptoms of Autoimmune Hepatitis?
- How is Autoimmune Hepatitis Diagnosed?
- What is the Treatment for Autoimmune Hepatitis?
- What is the Outcome During/After Treatment?
- Is There an Alternative Treatment for Autoimmune Liver Disease?
- Suggested Articles