Gallbladder Disease and Liver Health
What Causes Gallbladder Disease?
Types and causes of gallbladder disease include:
- Gallstones (cholelithiasis) – the most common type of gallbladder disease. Hardened deposits of digestive fluid that can form in the gallbladder which vary in size from a few millimeters to a few centimeters. Two types of gallstones are cholesterol gallstones and pigment gallstones.
- Cholecystitis (inflammation of the gallbladder) – caused by a gallstone getting stuck in the cystic duct, the tube that carries bile from the gallbladder. Infection, injury and tumors can also cause cholecystitis.
- Polyps (growths of tissue in the gallbladder).
- Chronic acalculous gallbladder disease – when the natural movements needed to empty the gallbladder do not work well.
- Gangrene (death of tissue) or abscesses (pockets of pus).
- Sclerosing cholangitis – swelling (inflammation), scarring, and destruction of the bile ducts inside and outside of the liver.
- Congenital defects of the gallbladder (defects that are present at birth).
- Tumors of the gallbladder and bile ducts.
- Gallbladder cancer – a rare disease in which malignant (cancer) cells form in the tissues of the gallbladder.
DetoxCompanion.com “Is a Liver Flush Dangerous?” http://www.detoxcompanion.com/liver-cleanse/21/is-a-liver-flush-dangerous/. Retrieved April 20, 2011
eHowHealth.com “What Are the Dangers of a Liver Cleanse with Epsom Salt, Olive Oil and Grapefruit?” http://www.ehow.com/about_5202419_dangers-salt_-olive-oil-grapefruit_.html. Retrieved April 20, 2011
MayoClinic.com “What is a Gallbladder Cleanse? Is it an Effective Way to Flush Out Gallstones?” http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gallbladder-cleanse/AN01283. Retrieved April 20, 2011
Palmer, M.D., Melissa. Dr. Melissa Palmer’s Guide to Hepatitis & Liver Disease. New York: Avery Trade, 2004
U.S. National Library of Medicine NIH National Institutes of Health “Gallbladder Disease” http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001138.htm. Retrieved April 20, 2011
WebMD “Tests Used to Diagnose Gallbladder Problems” http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/tests-diagnose-gallbladder-problems. Retrieved April 20, 2011
Worman, M.D. Howard J. The Liver Disorders and Hepatitis Sourcebook. McGraw-Hill, 2006
- Gallbladder Disease and Liver Health
- What Causes Gallbladder Disease?
- Who is at Risk for Developing Gallbladder Disease?
- What are the Symptoms of Gallbladder Disease?
- How is Gallbladder Disease Diagnosed?
- What is the Treatment for Gallbladder Disease?
- Can One Live Without a Gallbladder?
- Are There Alternative Treatments for Gallbladder Disease?
- What is a Gallbladder Cleanse and is it Safe?
- Suggested Articles