Fatigue and the Liver
Since fatigue is a symptom, not a disease, the treatment depends on what is causing the fatigue. For those that have liver impairment, being informed about the detrimental effects of alcohol, drug use, poor sleep, dietary habits and a highly stressful life can empower an individual to make positive lifestyle changes. In addition to making healthful lifestyle decisions to reduce fatigue, these changes will also support the liver and strengthen the immune system.
The following are some helpful tips:
- Try to avoid overloading your day with a busy schedule by prioritizing necessities.
- Work at the time of the day when you feel your best and arrange to do things then.
- When possible, conserve your energy by sitting down to perform activities you typically do while standing.
- Rather than trying to sleep when you are fatigued, rest or do a lighter, easier activity since you will regain more energy from this sort of break.
- Pace yourself by including regular breaks in your day.
- Pass on large, heavy meals in favor of smaller, more frequent ones.
- Since hot temperatures can be draining, take warm showers.
- Establish a pre-sleep routine at night to wind down and prepare your body for sleep.
- Improve sleep patterns: this can include cutting out caffeine after 4pm, sticking to a routine of retiring and rising at the same time every day, modifying your sleep environment to minimize sound, light and distractions, and taking time to unwind by purposefully relaxing before bedtime.
This information is intended for educational purposes only and should not be used in any other manner. This information is not intended to substitute for informed medical advice. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease without consulting with a qualified health care provider.
Cabot, M.D., Sandra. The Liver Cleansing Diet. Arizona: S.C.B. International Inc., 2002.
Hepatitis-Central. â€œWorking With Your Liver’s Clock Benefits Hepatitis Câ€ http://www.hepatitis-central.com/mt/archives/2010/07/working_with_yo.html. Retrieved October 8, 2010.
Hepatitis-Central. â€œFatigue and Hepatitis Câ€ http://www.hepatitis-central.com/mt/archives/2007/04/fatigue_and_hep.html. Retrieved October 22, 2010.
MayoClinic. "Fatigue" http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fatigue/MY00120/DSECTION=causes. Retrieved October 22, 2010.
Medicinenet. â€œFatigueâ€ http://www.medicinenet.com/fatigue/article.htm. Retrieved October 22, 2010.
Palmer, M.D., Melissa. Dr. Melissa Palmer’s Guide to Hepatitis & Liver Disease. New York: Avery Trade, 2004.