Acute Liver Failure
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Acute Liver Failure?
Symptoms of Acute Liver Failure come on suddenly and without warning, so it is important to seek medical care immediately. Some of the signs and symptoms of ALF are as follows:
- Hepatic encephalopathy (mental confusion, difficulty concentrating and disorientation)
- Sudden jaundice (yellowing of the whites of the eyes and skin)
- Pain and tenderness in the upper right side of the stomach
- Ascites (accumulation of fluid in the stomach)
- Edema (accumulation of fluid in the legs, ankles and feet)
- Feeling ill
- Muscle tremors
- Bleeding easily
Mayo Clinic â€œAcute Liver Failureâ€ http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/liver-failure/DS00961. Retrieved May 20, 2011
Medscape â€œDiagnosis and Management of Acute Liver Failureâ€ http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/720697_3. Retrieved May 20, 2011
Palmer, M.D., Melissa. Dr. Melissa Palmer’s Guide to Hepatitis & Liver Disease. New York: Avery Trade, 2004.
U.S. National Library of Medicine NIH National Institutes of Health â€œAcute liver failure caused by 'fat burners' and dietary supplements: a case report and literature reviewâ€ http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21499580. Retrieved May 20, 2011
U.S. National Library of Medicine NIH National Institutes of Health â€œInfluence of high body mass index on outcome in acute liver failureâ€ http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16996806. Retrieved May 20, 2011
Worman, MD Howard J. The Liver Disorders and Hepatitis Sourcebook. McGraw-Hill, 2006
- Acute Liver Failure
- What Causes Acute Liver Failure?
- Who is at Risk for Acute Liver Failure?
- What are the Signs and Symptoms of Acute Liver Failure?
- How is Acute Liver Failure Diagnosed?
- How is Acute Liver Failure Treated?
- What are the Complications of Acute Liver Failure?
- How Can Acute Liver Failure be Prevented?
- Suggested Articles / Websites